All you need to know about body corporate when buying a Brisbane apartment or unit.
From drafting leases to resolving disputes our business lawyers are experts in commercial lease agreements.
How much do business lawyers cost?
Use our online calculator to estimate the cost of a business lawyer.Cost of a Business Lawyer
Why you need a business lawyer for leases
Leases are the contractual arrangements entered into between landlords and tenants (businesses) relating to the exchange of land or property for a periodic payment. We have decades of experience assisting with the process of assigning, amending, reviewing, renewing and terminating leases to take the stress out of the process for you.
Helping resolve disputes
Often leasing matters may create disputes between parties that can be costly if not properly managed. Whether you are a tenant or a landlord, we can assist you with a variety of dispute resolution matters, such as negotiating more favourable terms.
Assisting you in understanding your rights
During the creation, changing or renewal of leases, you may not understand what your rights are. We can assess your individual situation and consider all of the rights and responsibilities of the parties involved with your lease so you are well informed up-front to avoid any potential financial penalties down the track.
Frequently asked questions
- Rental costs;
- Renewal terms;
- Who is responsible for additional services, insurance or rates;
- Facilities that are included in the lease;
- Early termination liabilities;
- Cost of repair to building; and
- Settle on your exact budget and decide what are must-haves and what are nice-to-haves;
- Find a lawyer who can negotiate for you;
- Negotiate on more than one location at a time;
- Don’t agree to pay the asked base rent, counter offer 10 to 15 per cent beneath the asking price;
- Check the property’s square footage to ensure it is up to date;
- Negotiate a longer lease term so you can get a better base rent;
- Ensure you receive a fair cure period, which is the time you are able to justify breaching your lease;
- Add a clause that will prevent the landlord from renting to a competitor;
- Negotiate the fixturisation period, which is the time you are allowed to fix up the store; and
- Ask for all available perks such as free parking or wi-fi.
- Single net lease or net lease: the tenant only pays for utilities and property tax whereas the landlord pays for maintenance, insurance and repairs;
- Net-net or double net leases: the tenant is only responsible for paying utilities, property taxes and insurance premiums for the building whereas the landlord is responsible for paying maintenance and repairs;
- Triple net leases: the tenant pays for all costs of the building and the landlord is responsible for structural repairs; and
- Full-service gross or modified gross lease: structural repairs and operating expenses are split between the tenant and the landlord.
- Retail shop leases. Retail shop leases are leases of premises which are located in a shopping centre or used predominantly to carry out a specific retail business.
- Commercial leases other than retail shop leases. This is a broad category which could cover premises leased for distribution, manufacturing or the provision of services. These facilities are generally located outside of shopping centres.
Why choose us
We will tell you the truth at all times
We will be honest with you about your prospects of success, issues that arise or the commercial viability of your matter. The first time you come to see us, we will tell you whether you even need a lawyer.
We will respect you and your situation
Our job is not to judge anything you may have done. Our job is to guide your matter and actions moving forward to give you the best possible outcome for you, both legally and personally.
We will listen and understand your needs
We will hear not just what you want to achieve, but why you want to achieve it. We will tell you what you need to do to achieve the outcome you are after, legally, practically and emotionally.
We will stand by you all the way
Your matter doesn’t finish once a court order has been made. We will stay on your matter right up until all of the outstanding issues have been dealt with and the court orders are complied with.
Trusted by thousands of clients
I needed a business lawyer I could trust. And I trusted Forge completely.
In our most stressful times Forge’s business lawyers guided us through.
I was surprised by Forge’s complete service. They were so much more than just great business lawyers.
Need to talk to a lawyer?
Please contact us to find out more about how our award-winning and respected lawyers can make a positive difference to your business.
Your enquiry is confidential